Advice on planning a long rail journey during pregnancy plus information on making pregnant train travel more comfortable.
There are no special health risks when travelling by train, but for your comfort follow the same advice as for air travel.
You may consider travelling with your back to the direction of travel, so any sudden stops will not send you into the table.
Of course some pregnancy complications do make travel impossible, but you will know if this applies to you. There are certain stresses of long distance travel:
- Plan your journey to minimise stress and tiredness
- Try no to sit or stand for long periods
- Keep drinking water and eat when hungry
- Carry water, snacks, mobile phone and medical details
- Wear loose, cotton clothes, several layers to control temperatures
- Wear comfortable soft shoes