Advice on the natural ways to induce labour without medical intervention, including information on raspberry leaf tea and other alternative induction methods.
If you are near or beyond your due date and have not yet gone into labour there may be some things you can do to help things along:
Here are some ideas
- Raspberry leaf tea or tablets are believed by many to help the labour process making contractions more effective and less painful. Check with your local herbalist or health food supplier for when and how to use it.
- Take some exercise. A walk every day is a really good idea.
- Avoid constipation
- If you are not sleeping well at night try having a sleep in the day. This will help boost your energy levels for the big event.
- Make sure you have everything ready. Some people believe you do not go into labour until you are psychologically ready, if you haven't packed your bags or written your birth plan it could be holding you back.
- Have some intimate time with your partner. Sexual arousal and the prostaglandins in seamen are proven to increase the likelihood of you going into labour. Just about any kind of lovemaking can help so do whatever you feel comfortable with. It is much better if you do go into labour yourself, you are likely to need less pain relief and have less medical intervention so it is worth a try!