Typical daytime sleep routines for babies from four weeks through to nine months, plus information on baby nap patterns.
By the end of the first four weeks, try and aim towards this feeding and sleeping pattern. By ensuring your baby eats little and often during the day and is awake for short spells during the day, this will encourage him to sleep for longer spells at the right time, i.e. during the night.
- 7am - Awake and feeding
- 8.30-9am - Nap-time
- 10am - Awake and feeding
- 11.30am -Nap-time
- 2pm - Awake and feeding
- 4-5pm - Nap-time
- 5pm - Awake and feeding
- 6pm - Bath and bedtime routine
- 10-11pm - Awake and feeding
- 2-3am - Awake and feeding
By 6 to 9 months a typical routine might be:
- 7am - Awake, milk feed followed by breakfast.
- 9-9.30am - Nap-time of no longer than 30-40 minutes.
- 11.30am-12pm - Lunch.
- 12.30pm - Nap-time of up to two hours.
- 2.30-3pm - Milk feed.
- 4.30pm - Short nap if he slept less than one hour at earlier nap.
- 5pm - Tea.
- 6-6.30pm - Bath and bedtime. Routine.
- 7-7.30pm - Asleep