Baby > Your life > Family finances > Baby benefit entitlements > Benefits and financial help for single parents

Benefits and financial help for single parents

Useful information on the range of benefits and financial help available to single and lone parents including child maintenance and working benefits.
The cost of bringing up a child can seem quite daunting especially if you are on your own. However, in addition to the baby benefits available to all new parents, there is a support system in place that is specifically designed to provide financial help for single or lone parents.

Income support

Income support is available to those over the age of 16 who are unable to work full time and as a consequence have insufficient funds to live on. If you are a lone parent, work less than 16 hours a week (an average) and have savings under £16,000 you may be eligible to receive this benefit.

The amount you receive is dependent on your individual circumstances and will be calculated based on factors such as your age, your average earnings and the number of dependent children you have. However, regardless of the amount you are granted, if you are eligible for income support you will also receive free prescriptions and dental care, housing and council tax benefits as well as free school meals for your children.

Child Maintenance

Under UK law, both parents are equally responsible for providing financial support for their child regardless of whether they actively contribute to the child's upbringing. This means that if you are raising your child alone, you are entitled to claim child maintenance payments from the non-residential parent. The amount that you will receive is means-tested and will be based on a percentage of his or her income.

The child support agency (CSA) can help to calculate and collect child maintenance support from non-residential parents who live in the UK or work abroad for a UK based employer. The CSA will become involved in this process when either parent asks for assistance or when the parent with care claims income support.

There is also help available for lone parents whose ex-partner has moved abroad as Britain has an arrangement with over 100 countries that allows a parent living in one country to claim maintenance from an ex-partner who lives in another

For more information on child maintenance visit

Child Maintenance Premium

You are likely to be eligible for the child maintenance premium if you have sole care of your child and are in receipt of Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance. This benefit allows you to keep up to £10 per week of any maintenance payments you receive for your children.

Lone Parent Benefits Run-on

If the following statements apply to you, you may be eligible for Lone Parents Benefit Run-on.
  • You have been receiving Income Support, Minimum Income Guarantee or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance continually for at least 26 weeks.
  • You have you been a lone parent for those 26 weeks.
  • You have increased your working hours so that you are now working at least 16 hours a week or you are now working full-time in a job that you expect to last for at least 5 weeks.
If you are going back to work, lone parents benefit run-on provides you with financial help to tide you over until you are paid from your new job.

It is important to be aware that if you are going back to work or increasing your hours at an existing job, you must inform the department from which you receive benefits at once.

Visit the official government website ( for further information on the benefits available for lone parents.

By Lucy MacLauchlan

Chat or Ask a Question:

If you have a question about this article or something else, visit our friendly forums & ask the AskBaby community.

Chat about benefits and financial help for single parents with our friendly community...

Your Comments:

We'd love to hear your comments on this article...

Login to add your comment:

Email: Password:
Not yet a member? Join thousands of other parents and parents-to-be... Sign Up Now!
Forgot your

so im new to this i just need some help how can i apply for help and what states does it only apply to??
by anais21 14th Oct 2013, 12:48pm
hi there, i don't know if you will be able to give me any advice but if you could let me know the best people to get in touch with that would be great. i am a 35year old man who is back staying at his mothers after my relationship has broken down. the problem i have is that as stated i have a 9yr daughter i also have a daughter that is going to high school this year.the problem is that every chance they get they want to stay with me but there is only the one free bedroom in my mothers house. could you tell me if i would be able to apply for accomadation for myself and the girls because when the stay just now i have to sleep on the floor, and in the last 3 weeks they have stayed with me for 19days as i have been on holiday so sleeping on the floor is not very satisfactory. i will be grateful for any help you can give me.
by bostongeorge16 25th Jul 2011, 10:26am
Every choice we make in life has consequences and we reap what we sow, it's one of the big laws of the universe. Sin (ie breaking God's laws, and there are many of them) leads to death. One of them is not to have sex before marraige, commit adultery and another is that if a man does not work he shall not eat. If it were me I would get on my knees and pray and ask God to forgive me for making such a stinking mess of my life and ask him to help me out of my mess. I would give my life to Jesus Christ and ask Him to turn it around and help me to do something good with it. Without Him you will just keep getting yourself into trouble. He's the only answer to all of life's problems. Put your hand in His and let him lead you out of your mess. He is merciful, all loving, all forgiving and He will forgive the vialest sinner. No matter what bad evil things you may have done, no matter what stinking mess your in, he is your is Your rescuer, Your deliverer, your only way out. I know because that's what I did and now my life is so good and peaceful and prosperous. It hasn't been an easy journey and I had to suffer the consequences for a while from my stupid choices but Jesus will help you if you let Him into your heart and life. Jesus is the Way the Truth and the Life. Seek the Lord and who knows he may turn and leave you a blessing. Take responsibility for your actions and make wise choices. If you never grew up in a house that taught wisdom, check out Proverbs in the Amplified Bible, it's full of loads of wisdom on how to live a good life and keep yourself from disaster and misery. Seek and you will find, knock and the door will be open to you. Behold Jesus stands at the door and knocks whoever opens the door I will come into him and dine with him. Check out the BIBLE it's awesome and will save your life! Trust in God, don't trust in any man to rescue your or help you, they will fail you and let you down but Jesus will never, He is will be your source, your joy, your peace, your comforter and guide, if you let Him.
by getwisdom 6th Jun 2011, 4:24pm
Hi all ,
Please do not slate me or reply with nasty comments a little help is all I'm asking ?
My story is , I'm 16 and my partner has mistakenly fallen pregnant due to not taking her pill,
Not fully her fault I no and I accept the responsibility that come with parenting, yet I'm about to start my 6th year at school she is unemployed and at the end off next month our families are throwing us both out ? , I don't know whether I can claim any benefits for my self and she doesn't either , I know right now I'm not elegable for the EMA and we are going to struggle to bring up this child on her sole income of £60 a week as maternity grants have been stopped and we do not have a roof over our heads as of next month .. Is any one in similar circumstances or know how to help , it would be grately appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read x
by Sillyboy 26th Apr 2011, 5:40pm
Hi all
im 23 have a 7 year old son, a 11 month old son and one due in may (yes i know lol) i live on my own in a council house, currently a full time mom with full intentions of going to work when youngest at school (no reason why i shouldn't) reading all your articles it seems to me that's there's not much help out there for you guys and if there is, their not very clar about personally would go down to my local jobcentre, explain your circumstances and u will be gives a load of forms to fill in and send off.hopfully you will get what your entitled to and most help (benifits) could be backdated as far as three months.get them forms in quick!hope this helps
by v1kk1 8th Mar 2011, 5:51pm
hi all, i dont understand why sum1 would think that its a waste of time for the government to help people that are not born in this country or that are not from this country. its really bad. because every foreigner working in this country pay taxes. and the taxes they pay is what others that seat at home on their butts get. i understand that we ladies find ourselves in some kind of mess and we become single mothers, but hey life goes on. i dont think any woman should be ashamed of claiming benefits if the truly need it. but it not nice to judge other people.
by precious444 11th Feb 2011, 5:31pm
Hello, I am 28 & have a 2 year old little girl (she will be 3 in Feb) I really hate the job I am in at the moment & have struggled from Chloe been born but went back to work for a break really. To this day I wished I had gone back to work for the 4 weeks I had to & then left. Dose anyone know if i were to hand my notice in if I would be entitled to any help? xx
by MandyM00 3rd Feb 2011, 8:37am
Heya, if ne of you guys live near a citizens advice bureau, they will be able to give you al the advice you need for free..if you dont live near 1 you should try looking up their website as they have alot of information there also xx
by kaza85 26th Jan 2011, 8:52am
I have a 14 month old little girl, with a partner and a mortgage. Myself and my partner are not working out, we argue all the time and I cant stay in the relationship any more, it's not good for me or my little girl. Problem is if I leave I have no where else to go, no family or friends I could go too. I am looking for advice how I can go about this - will I get any help financially or finding somewhere to live because I am joint on the mortgage? I work part time and receive child benefit and child tax credits. If anyone has any advice if they have a similar situation would be much appreciated, Thank you
by baw09 17th Jan 2011, 3:15pm
Hi, I'm 26 years old and have two lovely little boys.Me and my partner have split up,and as we were not married and lived in the house he already owned I have moved out.He was also my boss so i now have no job.I am currently living with my mum,and me and my ex are sharing care of the children..WHICH believe me I'm not happy about! I don't know where to go from here as I don't think I'm entitled to any benefits and cannot afford to rent on my own?
by worriedmummy 17th Jan 2011, 3:00pm
I'm a (soon-to-be) single mother of a 2 year old and I'm currently unemployed. My ex-partner is leaving me due to personal health problems and I'm very concerned about my lack of household funds.
I'm used to doing things for myself and I would love to get back to work. However, I'm worried about how to do that as well as properly care for my child.
Like many people I have many bills to pay but I'm not exactly sure what I'm entitled to help me financially until I get a job. But, even once I have a job I'm not sure if I would be able to pay for childcare and my bills. Can you please give me some suggestions? Thank you very much.
by maggiekl 17th Jan 2011, 2:47pm
Hi, I am 36 years, I am living with my partner & a baby, but he will soon be leaving me & going back to Pakistan. so me & my child will be left alone in UK. Can you please tell me what should I do as a lone parent. What benefits can I get or Is there any way that I can work & look after my child. I have got a house & I don't work. I am looking forward for your answer. Please help me I don't know what to do, Thank you.
by Asalam786 5th Jan 2011, 9:33am
I am concerned about my friend who has a critically ill 2 month old son in intensive care in London who has to drive both ways each day to spend time with him. She lost a baby last year so she wants to be with him and never misses a day. The thing is that it is costing her a fortune in petrol and she is on limited benefits. Is there anyway that she can claim for travel - she cannot go on public transport because she has mobility problems herself and so drives. Any helpful advice would be gratefully received. Thanks
by Debeveann 16th Dec 2010, 9:26am
Im 17 years old 28 weeks pregnant and living at home, my mum is currently on child benefits for me till i turn 18 and other benefits but she is working 20+ hours a week part time, does anyone no if i can apply for income support without it affecting her money in any way because im not sure had loads of different answer from everyone xx
by amymc1993 14th Dec 2010, 5:05pm
I'm 17 and I have son 8 months old I'm lone parent can somebody help me will I be able to claim any benefits as lone parent? I'm living with my grand parents.
by miroslava 6th Dec 2010, 8:45am
hi, im 17 and living at home with my parents, and im at college, not working. I am 3 months pregnant, and iv been told that i wont be able to claim any benefits, because my mum and dad earn too much money, and there responsible to provide things for me and the baby, but that's not fair! is this true? what benefits will i be entitled to? thanks, charlotte xx
by charlotte1993 26th Nov 2010, 5:07pm
hello. I have just found out that I am 5 wks pregnant. I am self-employed, have just started a new business which isn't making much money as yet, and I rent a room in a house share. I am not with the father and will have to bring up the baby alone. I am wondering what benefits I can claim etc and whether I will be able to get help with housing etc. Im worried because I am self employed that i wont get any help.

by Sandyv 17th Nov 2010, 4:20pm
Hi I am a 29 yr old single mother of a 5 yr old I left my husband 7 months ago and am starting to struggle with mortgage payments and day to day bills and was wondering what help benefits I'm untitled to as my husband does not help with money or my son I currently work full time but now need to give it up and find something else as can not care for my child with the hours I work thanks x
by Eproth23 15th Nov 2010, 8:55am
I'm a 32 year old mother of 2, working 16 hours a week who desperately needs to leave my long term partner, but i'm worried about what help I can get, does anybody know about benefits, bond guarantee's and such like services? Also any help with furnishing a new property, any info would be very appreciated x
by reco 11th Nov 2010, 2:38pm
hi am 22 years old,single mum, I live in a private rented house I do not work I have a 4 year old girl and pregnant I was wondering how much help I will get when baby comes along?? x
by xxsammyx 2nd Nov 2010, 5:41pm
hi im a single mum with two boys 3 & 7 and need help as just goin through proceedings to live separately, Can any only help me to find out what im entitled to as a single parent, whose ex is willing to provide shared childcare? many thanks .
by hopscotch 13th Oct 2010, 6:04pm
Hi, I am a 21 year old living in rented accommodation and am expecting my first child on march the 12th 2011. I have worked solidly since the age of 17, and have contributed my fair share of tax over the 4 years I have worked. My partner is living with me, and we have decided I will not return to work after the baby is born. Now as someone who has worked, the idea of not working is quite scary, so I have decided to enrol into a part time fashion and design national diploma next year after the baby is born. His wages are ok, so will I get any financial help, and where on earth do you begin to look for it? SOS. x
by jess999 11th Oct 2010, 1:00pm
Hi,, Im 21 weeks pregnant and actually homeless as my partner kicked me out from our flat. I've been also assaulted by him. Im currently unemployed as my contract ended when I got pregnant. I couldn't find any other job since then. Due to my pregnancy its proving difficult to get any other job. I have no money, no place to live (currently live at my friends place but it wont be long). I have no WRC.. Am I entitled to any benefits ??? thank you
by fairymaia 30th Sep 2010, 4:46pm
Hi peeps hope someone can help basically im 34 weeks pregnant and my dear husband has decided he doesnt want to be married anymore... charming... aint begging done me crying need to be practical have 2 other kids 18 and 5 .....benefits where do i start?
by upset 24th Sep 2010, 5:10pm
Im 17 years old im 10 weeks im also single Im curenttly at collage and living with my parents. Im worried about money can you tell me trufly what i would be able to get to help with the baby. x
by chloelouisha 13th Sep 2010, 9:55am
im in my 40's i am a single parent i have 2 children aged 16 and 18 both in full time education. i am self employed and earn around 10k a year. i am stuggling to pay bills for my daughters education and for house bills and was wondering if i am liable for any help? lauren
by laurenbelle 13th Sep 2010, 9:51am
Hello, I am 10 weeks pregnant and currently unemployed. I had a very good job and due to my contract ending I had to leave. I am 26 years old and have been paying over 500 pound worth of tax every month. Due to my pregnancy, its proving difficult to get any other job and I am worried that with my little savings I wont be able to manage. My husband and I are currently separated as I can't stand him anymore. I am I entitled to any benefits? Thanks
by Bonita26 6th Sep 2010, 10:14am
to chloelouisha you might be entitled to a grant some single parents get a 500 pound grant to help get things ready for the baby you need to ring your local job centre and council and see what you qualify for they will be happy to help :o) x
by katyj1987 27th Aug 2010, 5:04pm
im in a pickle!Im 23, I currently live with my partner and 1year old daughter and I work full time. Things arent goin well between me and my partner and i think i want too leave him. Im very scared as i dont know at all what i would be entitled too or where i would be left living (id rather stay living where i am already in a 2 bed rented flat, which i couldnt afford living alone) Any advice would be much appreciated.
by tiasmum1 24th Aug 2010, 2:47pm
I'm a single mum and am struggling to find out where to get information from regarding how I pay my mortgage and bills when my company stop paying me as the government allowance will not be even close also how do I find out how much I am entoitled to maintenance wise without contacting the csa
by jenniewiz 18th Aug 2010, 9:26am
i am a single 18 year old mother, i have a six month old son who i live on my own with, and i also work full time. i want to go to college and do a full time course and cut my hours at work right down but i think its going to be impossible to have any sort of realistic income when i work it out, is there any way im ever going to be able to go back to college? and to aimz23- why should the government pay for u to have someone else look after ur daughter, ur on benefits already ur being paid for doing nothing as it is least u can do is look after ur own daughter full time, if u really want a break from her get a part time job 16+ hours and youll get 80 percent of childcare costs paid for.
by taraandjames3232 12th Aug 2010, 11:04am
me and my daughter is working 16 hours each a week which is in total 32 hours between us, was wondering would we get any help with council tax and rent ?

hope too hear off someone ... many thanks x
by LOISBURKE 12th Aug 2010, 11:02am
Hi my names daniela, i am 17 years old, at college and i have a 20 month baby boy. im starting work but its 10 hours a week, they are paying me £8.00 a hour, will they cut my benifits off. please get back to me. thank you.
by dani92 12th Aug 2010, 10:59am
In reply to aimz23 on how single parents not working don't get any help with chilkdcare is probably because u don't bloody need childcare if ur not working in the 1st place!!! Why would u need childcare, u aint working! Personally I think single unemployed parents get more than enough help for sitting n their butt! I've got a 2year old and another on the way, I'm working full time and will have too go back fulltime after my 2nd child simply because I can't afford not too! I work 35 hrs per week and still struggle at the end of the month, I pay 500 n taxes every month and for what? I I'm not the one getting free rent, dental care, prescriptions, council tax the list goes on! Is that fair? I have no sympathy for you and quite frankly think you need a reality check! Forgive me for being so blunt but it really infuriates me hearing unemployed single parents who get everything that's going acting as if the world owes them something! Go out n earn a living instead of sponging the system !
by reillys2 12th Aug 2010, 10:49am
hi im 24 and single mum of a 2 year old and currently 5 months pregnant.i live in a council house, work 4 days a week and get working and child tax credits.obviously i will be on maternity leave soon getting the standard £123 a week.I dont know where i stand with getting my benefits but also need to know if i get help else where like my rent and council maternity pay etc will not cover the costs.if anyone knows what i should do please help. thanks
by stacwarrington 12th Aug 2010, 10:20am
hi i from slovakia iam 20week pregnat iam working 16 hour , and i just whot to now if iam in tilted to get any benefit or some help with the rent thank you
by vieruska 12th Aug 2010, 10:17am
hi i am a single parent to a 9 month old, i have been back at work for a month now full time, i am finding childcare very difficult so i asked my manager about going part time the only problem is with my type of work(senior care worker) you have do do shift work and the shifts are, sleep in shifts once a week, late shifts, early shifts and weekends.this is impossible with a young baby so i feel i have no alturnative but to leave, i am just worried that if i leave i will not be able to claim any benefits ie- income support for 16 weeks???? does anyone know about this???
by mk09 12th Aug 2010, 10:17am
Please could someone let me know if I can claim any benefits apart from child tax credit and working tax credit.I work 20hours a week as bringing up my son who's 13 virtually on my own.I get no CSA SUPPORT from his father who emigrated 9 years ago and stopped paying me.I am finding it increasingly hard to meet the monthly bills and the demands that kids have these days.I barely manage to make ends meet each month.I do not claim any other benefits.I have my own house so pay all the usual bills plus council tax etc.Would I entitled to anything else.
by silvannah 12th Aug 2010, 9:39am
I am a single parent and I work always have, and I dont see why the government should pay for to send a 2 yr old to nursery when mum sits at home single or not... I think thats a joke...
by katiedaily 12th Aug 2010, 9:15am
i'm a23 year old single parent and currently on benefits. i want to get my 2 year old daughter into nursery school and cant afford it as its around £40 a week because of her age, i dont see why single mothers who arent working dont get help to pay for childcare because i struggle every week on paying bills. its about time the government do something about it.
by aimz23 11th Jun 2010, 5:38pm
For JODINO - You will be entitledto lone parent Income support and housing benefit and your full council tax will be paid for you. You will recieve Income support and you will get child tax credits for your baby as well as your child benefit. My partner left me last year with a 3 year old and I have a mortgage and am still able to receive lone parent income support and housing benefit etc.. Ring your local jobcentre Monday and say you want to make a claim for income support as you are a lone parent and they will make you an appoinment for you and will sort everything out for you when you go - you will be surprised how much help you actually get - I was!!! x
by StephxGxB 21st May 2010, 4:08pm
As a single father i was expecting my ex partner to be asked for maintenance from the csa when i claimed income support, that was over a year ago and nothing, female friends of mine have been contacted almost immediately in these circumstances and their partners forced to pay, i do not want to push this myself as it will cause problems, why does it seem like a different world when the roles are reversed as getting any help is challenging to say the least.
by silky47 18th May 2010, 5:40pm
hi iam 24 i have 2 children ive been off sick from work about 24 weeks i can no longer go back to work and was wondering does anyone know wat benefits im in intilted to?
by aine1 18th May 2010, 5:35pm
hello ppl, i currently pay child maintainance, i do not & will not object to paying this but i do object to the amounts that they ask. I have 2 make payments in excess of 300 a month leaving me with roughly 500 a month to live on. I pay full rent, council tax, gas, electric, water but find i cant afford to eat unless i go homeless. Is ther any benifits i could recieve to help with this? Any info will be taken with many thanks..Ali.
by alimckeever 18th May 2010, 5:22pm
iam erica am 17 single and pregnant and iam trying to get benifits but they are telling me iam not intitled to it and a dont know what to do does any one know what i should do if so please comment back
by EricaMorgan 18th May 2010, 5:15pm
I have a 7month old baby and have a joint claim with my partner and know my partner and I have had a fall out I lve with him and we have decided nt to be together as were not working out but were living in the same house can I claim single as his know bk with his ex
by Naheeda 18th May 2010, 4:59pm
Basically i'm 16 and have just found out im pregnant, i am considering keeping the baby but am concerned on how i am going to surive financially...does anyone know how i would go about applying for benefits and just knowing what i would be eligable for? thanks x
by Charliex 18th May 2010, 4:45pm
i have split up with my husband who i have been with for 19yrs and married for 11,we have 3 children,a morgage and my kids are mortified we have split up,he was stain at his mums,on the living room floor forr 3 weeks while he was workin nights cause he could not afford to get another place,i now get an extra 80 pound a week because we aint together and i work 20 hours,i will not leave my kids with a child minder and i work 4-8 so my husband watches them while i work,is 80 a week all i get???????
by nikinrobbie 18th May 2010, 4:44pm
I am a single father of four children, I have just lost a management job and I am now working for minimum wage tp keep my tax credits going. Does anyone know what other entitlements I have, as a single parent of four on minimum wage.
by Radders 14th May 2010, 5:33pm
I am currently with the father of my son but want to spilt from him as he has started using drugs and I cant stand it. I am not bringing my son up in that enviroment. I work full time on shift work starting from 6am til midnight, I have so many outgoings at the moment and am currently renting a very nice house. I dont know where to start as I cant get child care that would cover my shift so means I would have to quit my job and lose my home. I'm so scared of the unknown can anyone help with what to do next and what I am entitled too to help me and my son.
by K5180 14th May 2010, 5:23pm
Working full time, have a mortgage and pay for childcare. WFTC give me a small sum each month,(around £38) which I fought for. This was following the death of my mother in July 2007. My mother helped with childcare. My annual salary is just under £27,000. I am out from 7.30am until 6.30pm. WFTC made mistakes and now they are saying I owe them £2,000. I would like to drop my hours. What would I be entitled to ?
by sandii 14th May 2010, 4:54pm
Hi, im a single parent of 1, my baby is 5 months old and i think i am unable to return to my job as i dont have any childcare due to the unsociable shifts that my job would require me to do. As i have a mortgage, am i right in thinking that i would not be entitled to any income support or benefits??
by jodino 14th May 2010, 4:24pm
I'm a single dad, I've just got custody of my daughter at the end of last year, my x partner had a drink problem and social sevices placed her in foster care last august while I gave up my job in London and moved back home to my parents to care for my daughter, my x partner is still claiming child benifit and tax credits which is fraud, and I'm having trouble getting them switched over, although I've told them the situation they are waiting for my x to confirm this which she won't, plus income support have cancelled my claim because i'm not getting the child benifit, does anyone know what I should do?
by chrisp222 14th May 2010, 4:15pm
hi i think its terrible the way some women that single parents on income support are sponging and should go back to work. i was surprised when i saw the comments saying such things so what are single mothers supposed to do if they have no family to look after ther baby put it in a nursery well to be quit frank my child would not be in nursery care at such a young age i want to enjoy my child and she it grow.
by deborahdx 27th Jan 2010, 9:42am
cinders- Depending what ur situation is if u return to work either full/part time u will be entilted to working tax/child tax credit plus child benefit. If you work 16 hrs a week and have a council house u will be entitled to housing and council tax benefit also . If u recieve working tax/ child tax u will receive free precscriptions for urself free dental treatment and a voucher 2wards a prescription for glasses.
by Jules300979 21st Dec 2009, 9:49am
Hi, i am 23 and 21 weeks pregnant with my second child i work part time 16 hrs, i get over half my rent paid which is a godsend, help with council tax (though not much) working and child tax credits and child benifit, i get no regular help financially from my ex partner he throws a tenner at me when it suits him. I find that i am better off now than before bringing in around £1000 a month sometimes money is tight but my daughter never has to go without like she had to when he was living with us. I went to my local council office the welfare rights departement annd they sorted everything out for me, wrote a list of everything i was entitled to and where i needed to go for the forms, they were really helpful. i also get 80% of my daughters nursery fees paid which is great her having the opportunity to socialise with other children before starting school nursery. Seriously i wouldnt worry too much about being a single mother personally i find it easier than being with a partner x
by beckee86 21st Dec 2009, 9:43am
Hi , i am 11 weeks pregnant and working full time. I am going to be a single parent and was wandering what benefits i would be entitled to? If any.
by cinders1980 6th Dec 2009, 6:05pm
Hi, i am out of work and two months pregnant, and just wondering what benefits i am entitled to??
by Blonde01 25th Nov 2009, 9:42am
Hi, Im wandering what benefits i will recieve and any maternity grants? I am currently not working.
by notty 2nd Nov 2009, 10:32am
can someone tell me what i am entitled to as a single mother,, i am working full time and my baby is due in march.. what housing benefits do i get or do i get any???
by shelli28 29th Oct 2009, 9:09am
Please Help

I going to become a single partner, i have two children one just 2 and a 3 month old so i am on matenity at the moment, i dont no how i stand financial and what i can receive. Im self employed and should be going back feb but not sure yet, so need to find out what i can receive if i dont go back to work?? PLease help
by vera31 19th Sep 2009, 5:39pm
No one seems to be able to help me. I am a single parent of a 5 year old. I have just had to give up my home and move in with my mum as I work shifts and my work will not change them I start at 06:00 am and finish at 22:00pm ( on 2 shifts) so childcare is hard and can only depend on my mum. It looks like I may have to give up my job as my mum is not fit to look after my boy to much. If I just gave up my job can I claim any money. I have been looking for anoher job with no luck
by Kagss1 14th Sep 2009, 10:24am
I dont know if anyone can help, but I'm trying to find out what my collegue can get to help financially. I do not know if she can claim anything from the government. She has a 16year old daughter - I dont think the dad pays any maintenance and she really does find it a struggle. Do you think she would be able to apply for any benifits as she works but not much. If she is likely to recieve any help, will she get backpay as she has only just realised anything about single parent benefits and has been a single parent for 7 years.

Hope you can help,

by sally1506920108 9th Sep 2009, 10:39am
hi does any body know what my sister can claim.shes on incapasity bennifit at the moment due to poor health,and as a daughter who is 15 wks pregnant and 15 yrs old.nobody seems to know what my sister can or cant claim.please help asap thanks
by jil3681 7th Sep 2009, 11:34am
my daughter died on 12 aug aged 36 she left a partner of 15 years & a daughter aged 13.he does work full time but is he able to claim any exrtra benefits as he may not be able to keep their home because he won,t be able to pay the mortgage
by honeyhayze 2nd Sep 2009, 10:41am
i am 26 and was married for 5 years when my husband walked out on me and my then 15 month old daughter. i worked in my husbands restaurant so consequently lost my job too. i had to claim benefits as my husband refused to pay any child maintainence and i was penniless. i went to job cengtre for advice as have never claimed benifits before and i was really ashamed. there i was treated with such disdain as if i had my daughter just to claim benifits. it was mortifying. they shouldnt make people feel like this many of us claim benifits as we have no other choice. consequently i am still on benifite now 9 months on as childcare isnt available for my daughter so i am going to wait til she goes to school. i just wanted to share my experiance incase there is others out there going through a similar experiance. dont feel ashamed or embarresed. hold ur head up high
by zoeanne 27th Aug 2009, 8:43am
i am a single parent living at home still i am 18 and havnt got a clue how to start renting a council flat or house were should i start .
by JMK 24th Aug 2009, 9:16am
djs63 it wont be difficult 4 ur daughter 2 claim benefits coz she aint with her fiance its by law she is a single parent now and she is entitled to it xxxAKSHAW to u ur daughter shud be claiming for her baby ages ago if she is not working she needs to go onto it if she goes in to a local jobcentre she mite be able to back date it for the ten months because any women in the uk not in employment is eligable to claim income support u get a 500 hundred pound grant for baby and working tax credits child benefit and tax credits all on top she shud get atleast £130 pound a week maybe more depends on situations xxxALIII u need to ring the jobcentre and say u want to make a new claim 4 income support now u have a baby u shud not be on jobseekers now u shud be on income support xx
by taiyatai 6th Aug 2009, 10:22am
Hi I've just discovered that my 17 yo daughter is 6 months pregnant. She has split from her fiance and doesn't want him involved at all. Will this make it more difficult to claim benefits?
by djs63 28th Jul 2009, 1:12pm
Hi, can anyone tell me how income support works, it all seems very confusing. My daughter is a single parent of a 10 month old and they are living with me. I am in full time work but my daughter isn't working at the moment. Does anyone know if my daughter can claim income support.
by AKSHAW 22nd Jul 2009, 9:39am
Im 20, and my daughter is now 18months old, single parent and have gone bk to work. Must admit it's the most exhausting thing ive ever had to do but it's worth it. I get alot of help from the government and they now even pay 80% of my nursery fees as I am on such a low income. I work full time and now take home a very fair pay and a ten times better pay than before I had Izzabelle. I find it easier to cope financially now than I could before she was born. Good luck Mums Your Going to need it!! x
by Beckajane 15th Jul 2009, 11:47am
i worry about money allt he time ive got a 3 and a half month old daughter and i dnt no how to apply for benefits i was on a joint jobseekers with her dad but since we split i dnt no how to apply for myself
by Aliiii 14th Jul 2009, 5:57pm
hi iv jst found out im pregnant and my partner has walked out saying tht he dosent want anything to do wiv me bcoz he doesnt want 1 and wants me 2 have a abortion which i will not do. im currently workin full time but once baby is born its going 2 b hard getin back 2 work coz i dnt have much surport if i went back it wud b part time which is 20hrs a week wot benefits would i b intiteld to im very confuesd
by allidt85 26th Jun 2009, 9:01am
Hi everyone! Can someone help me please? I've just found out that I''m six weeks pregnant, my expartner doesn't want me to keep it but I havent decided what to do yet - my biggest worry is being able to support myself financially, I work full time and what to continue to do this after the baby is born, can anyone tell me what benefits I will be entitled to? Many thanks x
by 1663Sarah 3rd Jun 2009, 9:33am
hi people, im 7 months pregnant and im due in mid-july. i need someone to help me! i work on a part-time contract but as duty manager i'm expected to work more like 30+ hours a week. im unsure what benefits id be entitled to working so many hours, and id like to return to work as soon as i can. my partner wants to move out, but im not sure whether we'd benefit from it. i need someone to please help me and give me advice on whats the best thing to do. many thanks
by esteemtodream 8th May 2009, 9:54am
My daughter is 15 and we have just found out she is 27 weeks pregnant. We are supporting her and she is going to be staying at home with us. The dad is not very supportive and out of work. Can anyone tell me of any benefits she would/could be entitled to before the baby arrives apart from £190 maternity grant.
Her dad and I both work but have an income of less than 40,000 p.a
by patrl001 23rd Apr 2009, 9:26am
hi everyone,
i was wondering if anyone could help. i am currently 30weeks preg with twin boys wich is fantastic but me and their father arnt together so im on my own. can anyone help me with what benifits i can claim or were to start i have tried the gouvenment website, rung the cab and jobcentre but still none the wiser. i am on stat mat pay my average monthly income is 1200 month but privately rent my outgoings are far more then my incomings and im currently panicking and worried bout what im going to do. any help or suggestions would be fantastic
by 86sarah 20th Apr 2009, 9:34am
I am pregnant and due on the 8th July. I will be a single parent. I have just moved into a council rented flat and have been looking at what my out goings and my income will be when the baby is here. I will be getting maternity pay and (fingers crossed) something from babies dad, but this ONLY just covers what I will have going out. My Income before I go on maternity leave is - £18,500 and I want to return to work in Jan working part time (if I can) does anyone know of any help/support I could get until I do finish maternity leave? Thanks
by xxjussiexx 14th Apr 2009, 12:52pm
I am 22 weeks pregnant and work part time at a beauty salon which is way under 16 hours a week. i have no savings to help financially support my child who is due in 18 weeks i just need some advice on what benefits i can claim. i have no contact with the father as he wants nothing to do with the baby and its starting to worry me how i am going to cope.....
by sarahbby 25th Mar 2009, 9:18am
Hi, i am a single parent to my little boy who is 16 months. im living with my parents at the moment but im moving into my own home soon, private land lord. I work 22 hrs a week and get working tax credits. I was just wondering if there is any type og grant or loan that i would be entitled to, just to get me on my feet in my new home. Thnks
by missprior 20th Mar 2009, 9:13am
hi, iv got baby of 13 months and in the process of splittin up with his dad, we own our house an im lookin for rental, what kind of help would i get? daddy gives me nothing for our son, goes out n works full time n doesnt see why he should do anything to help me at home, he has never bought anthing for our son, says thats what benifits are for. i just dont know where to start. PLEASE HELP!!!!
by jenj84 17th Mar 2009, 9:26am
Hi. Im single mum to be, 38 weeks at the moment. My baby's father has just announced that once I'm out from hospital I have to find my new place. That's not the worst thing. I'm worried that I'm not going to be bale to have enough money to bring up my child. I've got Child credit and Tax credit forms. Is there anything else I could apply for? any other financial support? Please help....
by youngmummy84 12th Mar 2009, 9:07am
help! my ex husband changed his job and is buying flashy cars and going on holidays abroad but refusing to increase the child maintainance he sees his son once a month i work part time and been told that i cannot claim income support because am working but i work less than 16 hours so cant get working tax credits is there any help that i can get afraid of going to the csa

just to make things clear am not a 12 year old mom lol
by proudmom12 10th Mar 2009, 8:50am
I am a single parent of four young children, the youngest being twins. I was married for 10 years and have worked all my life, paying thousands in taxes, owning my own home, even starting my own business to allow me to work through pregnancy and 3 months after each birth.
It really annoys me that people tar all single mothers with the same brush. I would love to work to keep my sanity and even be £100 a week better off. However, the benefits system does not allow this when you rely on childcare and private rents as there are council housing lists 10 years long.
Meanwhile, my husband bucks the system through being self employed in his bachelor pad, getting away with giving me £50 a week.
by oldladyinshoe 10th Mar 2009, 8:50am
by AGGIE85 9th Mar 2009, 9:29am

I have been reading some of these comments and there's a lot of strong opinions on single mum either claiming or working. I can see both ways. One: working mum keeps you independant and interact with others and children can look up to you and see that you need to work to get where you want in life.

On the other hand, I can see why people give up work to spend quality time with their children; able to help them with homework, disapline them, sharing good news, being there for them and able to cook a decent a meal for when they return from school.

I am a single mum and at present working full time with daughter in creche. She will be starting school in September. I am now facing a situation on whether to give up work or not. The reception school start half days and then build it up plus I got to find cover for half terms and finishing at 3pm.

My work is finding it difficult to accommadate my needs plus reducing my hours means I am no better off finanacially working or no working. It worked out more and less equal.

I am 32 and worked since I was 16. To not work is not what I had in mind but at the end of the day, you have to think what is best for your child.

Personally I feel it is important for a child knowing that a parent is waiting for her at her school gates, eager to tell her stories to you, able to spend quality time listen and just be there for them.

Everyone got their own opinion and believes. However, I do not agree that people get themselves preggy just to get themselves on the housing list and I also don't agree that the Goverment tend to accommadate non UK citizen before us. There's no justice and majority of UK citizens feels the same way. But what can you do?????
by Sazzy32 27th Feb 2009, 9:38am
Hi I am currently a single parent who is fighting for support through csa for my kid, also there father gives no other support to them as he has her to her convenience when he feels like it. I have recieved a countless number of awful intimidating calls and texts off him which has upset both me and our kid. It has got to the stage wher I am moving county to get away from his imature behaviour to me and our kid so therefore have to give my job up a few months early to get all this sorted out, would I get any benefits to help me financially in the meantime for me just giving my job up? All advice would be greatly appreciated as I am at desperation!!
by Paula1975 23rd Feb 2009, 1:07pm
hi i am 7weeks pregnant with twins my partner says he will leave me if i keep them. I have been of sick from work since october im only contracted for 16 hrs per wk wod i get help and how much also wod i be aligable to get my own place
by lea88 19th Feb 2009, 10:16am
hi all
i've just become a single parent and because of this i've had to leave my job as it ment i would have had to leave my 13year old alone until 2am which was never going to happen.
i've claimed benefits and i've now been offered a job but unfortunatly it is not 16 hours a week so won't qualify me to come of benefits and claim working tax credits.
the job would eventually lead upto 16+ hrs a week but not to start with.
How would it affect my benefits if i took it?
by debs2k2 6th Feb 2009, 12:49pm
I'd just like to say to those few people out there who believe poor people shouldn't be allowed to have children that they should find themselves lucky to have a job and stop judging other people.I have all of my qualifications, and I was in the RAF since I was 17 and have been in full time employment since so know how it is to work hard and make a life, but unfortunately due to our countries current situation I lost my job at christmas, and due to pregnancy problems such as heavy bleeding, cramps and fainting I have been unable to find another job, therefore I have to rely on benefits. I'm sure the majority of those people who do not work full time aren't simpy "sitting on their asses" all day doing nothing, and I'm sure they're a hell of a lot better mannered and down to earth than those of you who think you are better just because you have a safe job. It's hard to find work at the minute so I hope you don't lose your job - God forbid you would ever have to rely on benefit and sit on your ass all day.
by samanthalogan 2nd Feb 2009, 10:46am
Hiya, ive been reading some of your comments and god cant believe it, that basically single parents just go on income support for the sake of it thats bang out of order iv always worked since even b4 i left school had my son whose 5yrs old now n still went back to work when he was three mths old i believe that yes single parents shud try but its not easy being on your own or if uve been in hard situations n the csa dnt do jack either im not really bothered by that anyway but the point is i had to go on income support afta havin my second son 3 years later cos i got stuck wiv a job n got a new place so went on income support for the time being. Im now looking for a job and even thats been hard but im determined and im even gona do a course, cos i want to do it for myself and my boys n to not struggle anymore.

by nattygirl 2nd Feb 2009, 10:46am
Hey everyone... I am after some advice please!
I am now a single parent to my 18 month old daughter and need housing advice.
I am currently staying with family due to my relationship failing for what ever reasons, I returned to work after maternity leave but reduced my hours to 16hours a week which i earn approx £460 month, I also get working&child tax cred.
I cannot stay much longer with family as unfair on them and me! I am looking hoping to get help via housing benefit, does anyone know what kind of help I would get? I dont have any friends in my situation to ask as they either work full time or not at all!

Thank you in advance xx
by katiescannell 26th Jan 2009, 9:41am
re: daddy1968

what a great, honest. unprejudiced post - thank you!
after also reading the snobby miss 'i know it all and i am gods gift to the human race' post - i was compelled to add my 2 pence!
i have worked hard since 16 years of age building up a career in broadcasting and having to fight against the chauvinism of a male dominated field all the way and constantly prove myself over and over. i did this for the love of my jobs and career path and dutifully along the way paid higher and higher taxes as my salary increased over the years. now, i have never been in a 'wealthy' financial position but i have always paid every penny of my own way and that of my ex-partner of 17 years and that of my dad in recent years after ill health rendered him retired.
4 years ago exactly i had a child with my ex partner and i took my standard maternity leave and returned to work mid way between full and part time according to my childs daily needs! all was fine until last year i was diagnosed with cancer, spent week after week in and out of hospital undergoing test after test until such time that the cancer over took my strengths and health and i could no longer continue with work and thus had to give up my job and my career and all that i had strived for in over 23 years. the cancer first appeared in one of my organs which ensued with me having to undergo major surgery and a recovery period of 3 months with 3 of the weeks being in hospital. during those three weeks in hospital - my partner packed his bags, cleared MY house out of everything i owned and up sticks and moved in with another woman. 17 years and on my sick bed after i losing all my financial independence and security - he ran away and left me with zero to my name and a 4 year old child.
now my point is this - i can no longer work and i am now a single parent with bills and costs like everyone else - does this mean i am a drain on society and an insult to working mothers as per the post by that silly person previously - i have to claim benefits which i have never done before in my life and i will have to struggle on something silly like £60 a week between me and my child - does anyone really chose this over financial freedom and self respect - i think not in the most part! life is tough and society can be tougher but i am as deserved of benefits paid for by the taxpayer as the next person. we have the system in place to support persons to be a stay at home parent - whether through choice or circumstance and i for one am grateful.

PS to LB07 specifically - there are many brilliant non-uk born persons in this country who contribute to the uk in different ways. it is foolish and blind sighted to 'box' people/groups. if visitors to this country need help then so be it - we are a 1st world country and we should help.
by Smile07 9th Jan 2009, 9:18am
how much do single parents receive
by iyan 7th Jan 2009, 8:51am
can you get benefits if your under 16?
by leahkelly94 6th Jan 2009, 10:16am
dear oh dear oh dear !!!!!!!! , after reading the "total fantasy" post by beanonboard (fri 9th dec 2008) i would like to nominate her for parent of the decade after cycling 25 mile's a day to get to work , proberbly with a flat tyre on a rusty childrens bike uphill in the snow ! what a responsable parent ? lets just be thankfull you never came off your bike and disabled your unborn child ! secondly ,back to work with an 8 month old child where exactly ? with a parent of yours ? maybe we should congratulate them ? or was it the child minders/cresh ? left to eat from the floor in an understaffed over subscribed undertrained nursery ? , i take it you bonded well with your child in those precious little 8 months , or will we be picking up the tab for all the antisocial behaveyour in 10 years time ? i'd much rather give you the support now whatever the cost ! this is my point , before you give negative comments on other peoples aproach to parenting please remember circumstances differ , live's differ and some don't have the oppertunity to work so they need social care and support payed for by taxpayers who to be quite honest if you think child care, social money,child support is there biggest bill from tax payments , your way off ! try adding up the cost of red tape to make those payments , or maybe a pointless war ? or an ill afforded olympic games that the average single parent can afford to travel to let alone get in !
in fact the amount of money sqanderd this way would proberbly pay for every single parent on social care to live in a rent free 3 bed , with complimentry tickets to the games , and a limo to get there ! , by the way i'm sure they'll give all you hard ,hard working mums a wave as they pass you on your bike!
by the way , i'm a dad , having an easylife at work while my beautifull, patient, wife does the work of three men bringing up our children who i spend all my money on per month , apart from the £1000 amonth in tax i pay to help single parents have a decent standerd of living , wich there more than welcome to!
please comment......
by daddy1968 5th Jan 2009, 9:24am
hey was wondering if anyone could help please i'm a single parent with a son of 10 months im working part-time 16 hrs and im abt to start a full-time college course for nursing i was just wondering if anyone know what credits i would be intitled to claim? (if any) im claiming working tax credits and child tax credits just now but im worried i'll end up worse off goin to college than working any advise please!!!
by suziesue 5th Jan 2009, 9:23am
is there any help out there for mothers who want to go back to work but have no child care or a child with allergies???
by nickyhefford 5th Jan 2009, 9:23am
quote:Simple answer is don't have a child if you are not ready to work hard to support it!!! People who sponge should not be allowed to have children in the first place - its unfair to this country that is so in debt!!!!

Not everyone starts off as a single parent! I've been married for 4 years (spit up a week ago) and have two kids (2 years old and 4 month old). I worked through both of my pregnancies. Only reason I havent gone back this time is that I would have spent more money on childcare than what I would have earned!
Stop being so bitter!
by Carmen1509s 5th Jan 2009, 9:23am

Hear Hear!!!!!
by beanonboard 19th Dec 2008, 10:05am
O.k, I have been reading through some of your e-mails and am shocked by some!!! May I say that first off I am a full-time working mum and have been since my son was 8 months old and whilst pregnant cycling 25 miles a day to work (he is now 3)!!! My cousin is a mother of 2 daughters and is also working full-time!!

In reference to Becky555 - yes being a parent is important but so is contributing to the community and trying to pay your own way in life!! Its not majorly hard work thats just an excuse to sit around doing nothing all day! Simple answer is don't have a child if you are not ready to work hard to support it!!! People who sponge should not be allowed to have children in the first place - its unfair to this country that is so in debt!!!!

People at college or in re-training - fantastic - and should be supported - they are bettering themselves and their future life for their kids!!!!!!

I find it hard to sympathise with people that moan about not recieving enough money to sit on their ass! Get out and work - meet other people - stand up for yourself and build a better life!

Also I do not believe this country should be supporting others from abroad - it is wrong they have not been paying taxes in UK and we should not be a charity. They get housed before British people for fear of being racism - what is this country coming to - support your own before others!!!! I went to my local council for affordable housing - i would pay rent, council tax, water, gas, electric etc and all they told me to do was sell my car!!! Hmmm that way I would not have a job I would be able to get to - funny that!! Even though at my work place a foreigner got housed within 2 weeks!!! Lovely, what a fine example!!!

Men are generally ****** but hey thats life - choose more carefully next time - CSA are just useless and take most of the money for themselves (not that I have ever gone down that route) so don't even bother - take the ex-partner to court and get it down on legal binding contract that cannot be broken!!!

Lissie - Why are you pregnant again when you cannot afford it? And yes it is fraud as you are together but not living together - claiming 2 sets of money each for being single parents when clearly you are not single!!!

You may think I am rude but I am mearly stating the obvious - I am in favour of the single parent but only when they are willing to help themselves!!! Good Luck ladies and gents - any feedback on my comments, would love to hear from you!!!

by lucyhj07 3rd Nov 2008, 10:16am
hiya im 19 and a single mum, my daughter is 9 months. my maternity pay finished at the start of sep but i am not able to get a job as i am at college full-time so havent the time or the babysitters, what i am wanting to know is does anybody know what i am intitled to?and what i should be claiming to provide for me and my daughter, at the minute i receive child tax credit and child benefit. thanks
by wahwah88 10th Oct 2008, 9:19am
it annoys me how how much some people get becasue they dont work full time or what ever - me and my partner both work full time, pay all our bills etc - but all i will get is SMP from my employer at a fraction of what i normally earn- yet if i sat on on my arse and expected the council to pay my rent and tax i could do no work , stay at home and still get money for nothing!
hmmmm why is it i have been paying tax and nic since i left college????
by BandaPanda 7th Oct 2008, 9:33am
okay. i dunno how many read this but could people help me find out information? i am 16 years old and am pregnant. i live and work in cambodia(south east asia next to thailand). i am a u.k resident and will have the baby there. i work everyday for $90 about 40 pound a month and i know i cannot raise the baby on that. i really love this country and have been here for nearly 2 years. i came with my dad who left for England 7 months ago. will i be able to claim anything being here? i dont want to return to the u.k but i know i need to for the birth. i have been supporting myself for a year and i am litterally scraping by. before i worked for free food and drink it sounds bad but i am so accoustomed and dont want to leave. can someone email me with information? i dont even need all the money you get for benifits.
by nattie269 16th Sep 2008, 9:06am
for deborah1976 I am just 14 weeks pregnant and no one will employ me, due to personal issues with my last employment i felt i had to leave not knowing how hard it would be to get back into work, im literally on my feet every day looking for a job but as soon as i tell potential employees that i am just over 3months pregnant i get excuses that im not right for the job ect, dont assume because mothers pregnant or other wise are claiming benefits that they actually want to because i hate it, and want to get back into work!! I live on my own, so i have to make the rent, look after myself and still have to find a job, as soon as this baby is born and im able i will be going back to work. One very annoyed expectant scrounging mother Jakie01!!
by Jakie01 13th Aug 2008, 8:50am
How dare deborah1976 presume that all parents who stay at home to bring up their children are lazy! It's the hardest job in the world bringing up children. Im a lone parent bringing up a 1 year old and a two year old with little input from my ex husband. I need to be claiming lone parent income support to survive. I didn't set out to claim benefits for my children before the split we had mortgage. People fall into claiming benefits for various reasons.
I don't understand how anyone would want to bring children into this world and pay someone else to bring them up. Your children are so prescious and you should be proud to bring them up not to farm them off so you can have an easy life. Bringing up children is so hard to do, especially on your own.

I neary died having my first child i have been ill ever since, I'm not registered disabled because I'm working hard to bring up my own children. What would be the point of going through all of this to work to pay someone else, who doesn't care about your children, to look after them. They won't progress without the right amount of stimulation.
I also have standards, those are for my children to be brought up properly. My 2 year old goes to play school, in term, which I pay for so he can learn more communication and interacting skills and to give me one to one time with my 1 year old but I would never dream of dumping him there all day so I could have an easy life working!
Some poeple do sponge of the government, for instance those people who get pregnant to get a council house or people who have be "seeking jobs" for several years. I hope you can realise the difference between the people who claim benefits for the reasons the government has set aside the money and the people who do sponge.

I would love to know where these people get their ideas from that having children is going to be an easy ride, leaving someone else with the responsibility of caring for them. Don't forget that if you're going to pay peanuts you will get monkeys looking after you children.
by becky555 7th Aug 2008, 10:01am
Why are there so many of you moaning when your're on benefits and not doing anything to help your situation. OK i agree yes the fathers need to pay a way but that is why CSA is in place to help you out. There is no excuse to why any of you or your partners are on on income support/benefits unless you are deemed physically unfit to work and therefore you should be on a disability allowance. I am fed up of my taxes going to people because they are just too lazy to work, I am going to be a mum and i will be going back to work full time and if i can do it then so can you, I also have standards and would never lower myself to sponge off the benefits unless as i said i was registered disabled.

by deborah1976 4th Aug 2008, 9:12am
Hi,with regard to Ash2008,i'm sort of in the same situation as you and your girlfriend,i have one daughter by one man and have been a lone parent for almost 6 years now.had a boyfriend for nearly 2 years,we don't live together (he has his own place and has full custody of his 13 year old son),i have my own place (both are too small though for us all to live together),i am now 6 months pregnant with his child and although we are boyfriend and girlfriend,we can't financially afford to live together.i'm on income support and have told them of my change in circumstances and now have been called in by the "compliance team" (one stage below fraud for goodness sakes!) to i guess, try and prove to them that i have not been doing anything wrong and we are not living together.i'm also guessing that they will try and say i'm not entitled to income support anymore and that my boyfriend should be supporting me,my daughter and the new baby when it comes.fair enough the new baby but like you say what about my daughter from another relationship?it's a real mine field and very confusing and upsetting.i've spoken to the CAB and they advised to take in as much evidence to show that he runs his own household and i run mine.but whatever with the benefits system,it seems the more law abiding and honest you are the worse you seem to come off!will let you know the outcome.wish me luck!
by lissie 21st Jul 2008, 8:54am
Hi,i am a 26 year old single mum to a 5 year old i work full time as a assistant manager which gives me hardly any time to spare to share with my son so when my son started pointing out that he never sees me i looked into cutting my hours but was so shocked by my discovery.I am so angry and disgusted with this goverment and how they work out benefits i couldnt believe that if i was to sit on my bottom all day and make no life for myself and my son i would get exactly the same amount as what i do now working 40 hours a week,its no wonder there are so many young mums nowadays getting pregnant to sponge all the do the goverment expect these people to go to work when they are offering them the exact same money to do what they like everyday.I would of thought that if you worked more you would recieve more but as i found out this is not the case the more you worked the less they helped you out.i just cant seem to get my head around it so basically i could work halve the amount of hours i do now but would recieve the same amount of money because tax credits will replace the amount by wot i had cut down by.not much of an incentive to get people to work is it especially the ones who actually want to like me its rediculous
by akindele 3rd Jul 2008, 8:52am
Hi, I wonder if I could have some advice. My girlfriend has 2 children with a man who has not ever paid for them and he lives in abroad in Sweden for 4 years but we dont know where he is, although we have phone numbers. My partner has been on income support for quite a few years and we have just very recently had a baby together. Her ex partner left her in rent arears with her housing assocation and I paid this off. We have had three solictors try and get her tenancy reinstated with no success as the housing association ignores letters to them. The housing association will not let me live in that address because my partner and her ex are registered there and they are known tresspassers although technically they should of changed that. Although we are together, I live elsewhere in another london borough, what will be the situation regarding my child and paying for her? I have read someones comments below saying they have two kids and one with someone else and they see him as the sole earner so stop her income support. Does this happen when the man lives with his child or will it happen anyway even when they dont live together and is one expected to pay for chidren that dont belong to him? I am still with mine although not living together so this is very confusing? If I don't live there and pay rent elsewhere what would happen? Although I will supply everything my baby needs it seems that the decent man gets punished for doing the right thing? I do not see why I should pay for children that are not mine? So if you are together, not living together - is this still seen as together? I wonder if someone could give advice on my problem?
by Ash2008 18th Jun 2008, 8:42am
hi im 16 years old and i am nearly 34 weeks pregnant im a single mum and i would like to know what type of benefits i am able to get and roughly how much will i get
by gemgem1234 9th Jun 2008, 8:41am
Does anyone know what benifits I can claim for with my own house. I'm a single person and in my 2nd trimester. I work full time and pay a mortgage. I can only find info about being unemployed and if you live in rented accomodation. I intend to take 26 weeks maternity leave but I won't be able to even cover my mortgage payments with the basic SMP. What else can i claim. Vix
by russellvix 6th May 2008, 12:11pm
I also need advice on this subject. I have 3 children, my baby's father and I are in a relationship but I live on my own, we do not live together, however, I am not with the father of my first two children and do not know his whereabouts.

I recently applied for income support and was advised to do so as a lone parent. I've waited and have been messed around by them for 3 long months; only for them to turn around and say that I am not entitled to income support as I have a partner. They said, even though we don't live together it's seen as an income coming in for myself. I explained to them that my partner is only supporting 'his' child and I cannot expect him to support my other two and that I don't work and don't have an income coming in. I also explained that he supports the child by providing clothes etc, not by giving money to me.

I intend to appeal against this decision but I need advice.
by Mel19 21st Apr 2008, 8:40am
This is to both sam & tami
this bit is to samhamer, can your partner not claim through the inland revenue for your maternity pay, usually thats where employers can claim through, you can still get working tax credits maybe & you will will get child benefit & child tax credits. its not as much money as you get while working but it gets you through, i would look into things more even phone to see what help yous can get when your on maternity pay there is always a few options, phone your local job centre & ask them about it, they are really good for infromation.

this is to Tami30, if you dont want to move in with your partner the now then thats fine, am the same situation as you but i have a 8month baby the now, i get my housing & council tax paid for me. also i get my child benefit & child tax & working tax which you will be entitled to everyone who has a baby is entitled to it, if your working more than 16 hours you will get working tax but if not you can be entitled to income support & the childs father will help with you so dont worry , you will get help with things. so go to your local council & ask for about gettin ghousing & tax benefit the now get it done asap cause its a pain at times, you need to send like what income you get every month & so so & go to your local job centre to see about gettin you r child tax forms & everything they are good with helping you with things, hope this helps.
by lol86 13th Mar 2008, 8:35am
My partner and I have just found out we are expecting but unfortunately this has come at a bad financial time, I work for my partner who is self employed and we can't afford to pay me maternity pay out of the company. My partneronly takes home £300 per week. What financial help can we get?
by Samhamer 12th Mar 2008, 8:36am
My babies father and i have not been together very long and have decided that although i am carrying his baby it is too soon for us to move in together! I want to know if i live on my own do i have to claim single parent benefit to get housing benefit or can i just say that he is paying me maintenance?
by Tami30 20th Feb 2008, 8:41am