Typical sleep patterns for babies from newborn through to six months of age with information on both daytime naps and night routines.
Babies do not follow set rules, but generally you can expect the following sleep patterns:
Six weeks to six months
- Short naps of two to four hours on average.
- Total sleep - 14 to 16 hours a day.
- A baby's 24 hour body clock is more established from six weeks. Gradually over the next few weeks the longest sleep will take place at night.
- Total sleep - dips down to around 14 hours a day.
- Should have developed a pattern of one long sleep at night and one to two substantial day time naps.
- Total sleep - 12 to 14 hours a day