Useful information on the baby medicines available to provide pain and fever relief in babies, to help lower temperature and soothe teething gums.
There are various medicines available which provide pain relief for your baby. Most are not suitable for babies under 3 months, but in certain circumstances your doctor may prescribe one for your baby.
One pain relieving medicine is Calpol which provides pain and fever relief for babies and infants over three months. This is a paracetamol based infant suspension and is available in 70 ml bottles, 140 ml bottles or in packs of 10 x 5 ml sachets. Each 5 ml of medicine contains 120 mg of Paracetamol Ph Eur and is a pleasant strawberry flavour and is easy to swallow. There is a double-ended spoon in the pack, the large end is a 5 ml spoon and the small end is a 2.5 ml spoon.
Calpol infant suspension is a painkiller. It is also an "antipyretic". This means that it brings down a high temperature. Calpol infant suspension also soothes pains such as teething pain. If there is severe pain, a very high temperature or if the pain does not stop, call your doctor. This medicine suits most children under 6, but a few children should not take it. Ask these questions about anyone who might use Calpol infant suspension.
- Have they ever had on allergy or bad reaction to paracetamol? If so do not use Calpol infant suspension. Tell your pharmacist or doctor.
- Do they have serious kidney or liver problems? If so, talk to your pharmacist or doctor before using Calpol infant suspension.
- Calpol infant suspension may be unsuitable in patients with an inherited intolerance to fructose or an intolerance of sugars.
The dosage for infants under 3 months, under supervision of your doctor, is a single 2.5 ml spoonful if your baby is feverish after vaccination at 2 months. A second 2.5 ml spoonful may be given, if necessary, after 4 - 6 hours. If the fever does not get better or if your baby is ill for any other reason, speak to your doctor. The dose for infants 3 to 12 months is one to two small (2.5 ml) spoonfuls up to 4 times a day. One to two small (2.5 ml) spoonfuls up to 4 times a day. One to two large (5 ml) spoonfuls up to 4 times a day.
- Do not repeat more frequently than 4 hourly.
- Do not use more than four doses each day.
- Do not give your child Calpol Infant Suspension for more than three days
Another form of pain relief for babies is Disprol soluble paracetamol tablets. These provide fast fever and pain relief for children from 3 months to 12 years old. They dissolve in water to give a lime flavoured drink, which is sugar free. Disprol provides effective relief of:
- Sore throat
- General aches and pains
- Cold & flu symptoms
Do not give with any other paracetamol containing products. Immediate medical advice should he sought in the event of an overdose, even if the child seems well, because of the risk of delayed, serious liver damage.
Consult your doctor if:
- If you are already giving your child other medicines.
- If your child's symptoms persist for more than 3 days consult a doctor.
- Do not give if your child is allergic to paracetamol.
- You should ask your pharmacist or doctor before you give this medicine if your child has liver or kidney problems, or is taking prescribed medicines.
Also available is Medinol under 6 which has been specially formulated for children and babies under 6 years of age to provide relief from pain and feverish conditions. It is sugar and colour free with a palatable strawberry flavour and contains no alcohol or animal fats. Each 5ml sachet or spoonful contains paracetamol BP 120mg.
Nurofen for children is an oral suspension for babies and children from 6 months, designed to relieve pain and provides fast targeted relief from fever. It soothes away pain from dental pain, minor aches and sprains, headaches and cold and flu symptoms. Each spoonful contains ibuprofen 100mg/5ml suspension which is colour free, sugar free and has a pleasant orange flavour. effective reduction in your child's temperature.
Do not give to babies or children:
- who have had stomach ulcers or other serious stomach disorders
- who suffer a worsening of asthma, runny nose or hives due to aspirin or other similar medicines
- who are sensitive to any of the ingredients.